Monday, February 10, 2014

I Dislike Doors

Entrance.

Portals.

Exits.

Revolving Doors.

French doors.

Dutch Doors.*

You can call them whatever you want, but that won't change how I feel about them.  I dislike them because they are the source of many awkward moments.


I'm a polite person ... I like to hold the door open for people.  But how long is too long?  I mean, sometimes it just makes the person mad because they have to hurry up.

Or what about this scenario ... It's 7:45 and you are just leaving your dorm for your 8 am.  You've got coffee in one hand, and a bagel in the other.  You step out into the hall.  Someone comes up behind you, so you hold the door for them as you enter the stairwell.  They thank you.  Even though you are still half asleep, you have the sense to be polite and tell them that they're welcome.  Normal, right?

Here's where my predicament comes in ...

Let's say they follow you through the next two doors out of the building and they continue to thank you every single time.

Do I really have to tell them that they're welcome every single time ... Or can my first "you're welcome" be like a blanket statement ... covering the rest of the time they're following me?

Even worse, what do you do if you're the one following someone out the building?  Do you see my moral dilemma?  I would love to be polite and thank you for holding the door open for me ... but every thirty seconds?  I might need another cup of coffee for that!  But if I don't say thank you, then I just feel like I'm being ungrateful.

Let it be known, that from this day forward that I am always grateful for when you open doors for me ... even if I don't say thank you every time!

But most of all ... for some reason the doors in the music building all open in different directions.  I'm pretty sure ... and they don't have normal hinges!  I'd say I have a 60% success rate at door opening :(

You're luck I still have homework to do tonight because I didn't even get started talking about the danger of glass doors, two people trying to squeeze through one door way or stepping through doors onto ice.

Maybe I'll just boycott doors ... there's just too much at stake.

Be careful out there...
~Amanda

*According to google.com, this is one of those doors that is split into a top half and a bottom half

No comments:

Post a Comment