Thursday, January 23, 2014

6 things that I wish I knew

Okay, so I've been here 2 1/2 weeks and I feel like I've learned a lot!  Which is good, I guess.  But I spend a lot of my time in class stressing out because I feel like I know absolutely nothing about music.  Even the things that I thought I knew, it turns out that there's so much that could be expanded on.  But anways, I've made a list of general things that I wish someone would have told me ... or things that people told me and I didn't believe until I got here!


Carry an umbrella ... always.  It's not fun walking ten minutes to class in a downpour.  Did I learn the first time?  Apparently not, because today I waltzed into class looking like a drowned rat.

Expect to spend $100 EXTRA in books that your professors decided you needed when you showed up on the first day of class ... and $80 on a black chiffon feed sack masquerading as a dress for choir.  Hopefully this is just me!


It doesn't matter how thoroughly you think you packed, there will always be something else you discover you need.  Sugar and silverware, really?

Everyone shows up to class early.  Seriously, I walked through my classes the day before and still sat down in the wrong classroom on the first day of class!  I still showed up to my class five minutes early, but I was one of the last ones there.


Call your family once a in a while, your mom gets lonely.  And expect it to take, on average, forty five minutes.  I love you, mom! :)


It's okay if you doubt everything you've ever known about playing piano and music after the first day.  It will get better.  Then again, it may take a couple days and you might seriously start regretting being away from your family and your friends and your wonderful boyfriend who you haven't seen in four months and especially your mother who did your laundry for eighteen years and your nice job that paid you enough to actually increase your bank account every month and your comfortable life where you actually knew what to expect and ... yeah.

But I think I'm adjusting.  Then again, I had a good day ... despite the fact that it was a Monday and I had classes from 9-1 and 4-7:30.  On a bad day, my attitude would be completely different!  But soon the good days will outweigh the bad days.  I know when I've been holed up in my room too long because then I start getting all lonely and sad!  And I'm sure by now that you've figured out that this turned out to be one long pep talk to myself.  I hope some of it applies loosely to someone out there in cyberspace ... or I hope I at least made someone laugh from my conundrums :)  Maybe my next post will have some relevance to music therapy.  Or, maybe not.

I am quite fond of you all!
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment