Friday, January 31, 2014

A Day in the Life of a Music Therapy Major


I found this sign on the soda machine beside the practice rooms. :)  

I thought it'd be fun to go through an average day ... that way you can kind of get a feel for what it's like to be a music therapy major!  

I took all of the pictures with my phone camera ... so I'm really sorry about the awful quality.  I'm going to take you through a typical Tuesday.  

On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I have class at 8, but Tuesday and Thursday class only starts at 8:30.  However, my alarm goes off at 7:00 both days because I've been trying to get into a regular sleep schedule.  I wake up, start my coffee maker, shower, eat ... bored yet?  

And now the journey to the Music Building.  I have guitar class today, so I'm dragging her along.  Yes, my guitar is female.  Thankfully, it's not too far and it only takes around eight minutes.  My first class is called Assesment, Measurement and Evaluation for Music Therapy ... or AME if you're lazy like me.  This class deals with the nitty-gritty paperwork and record keeping aspects of Music Therapy.  After this class, I have a forty minute break.  I usually use this time to practice piano.


This is MY practice room.  Actually, I just like to think that it's mine.  It's gotten to the point where I get annoyed if I want to practice but someone's in "my room".  I like this room because it's bigger than some of the others ... think walk-in closet vs. broom closet.  Even more importantly, this is one of the few pianos that I actually like.  The pedal isn't squeaky, all of the notes are relatively in tune, no keys stick.  It's the little things in life that make me happy. :)  

After my quick practice session, yes forty minutes is quick, I shimmy over to guitar class for an hour.  Then, straight to voice class.  Voice is over at 11:45, so I eat at the cafeteria with friends.  I have just under two hours before Child Development at two.  I've used this time to pick up books and print off stuff at the library, but sometimes it's just nice to take a break from running around.  

But alas, soon it's time to make the 15 minute uphill hike up to class.  After this class, it's another 15 minute hike back down the hill back to the music building for Women's Ensemble.  Actually, our record is 12 minutes ... but that's probably because the temperature was in the negatives!  Either way, we're always a couple minutes late because we only have 10 minutes between classes.  It's cool, though because our choir professor is pretty relaxed. 

As soon as choir is over, I have fifteen minutes to change in the bathroom and punch into work.  Thankfully, it's only a seven minute walk!  I work until 9, but this is the only weeknight I work.  After I get back after work I eat supper, and do my homework for the next day.  Other evenings include practicing guitar and singing, homework, chilling with friends, going to bible study on Wednesdays, or music performances (I'm required to go to fifteen a semester).

So that's my Tuesday!  Everyday is different, but I would say that Tuesdays are my busiest day.  Although, now that I stop to think about it ... they're all pretty busy!  I'm usually away from room between 8/8:30am to 6 or 7 pm ...  I usually try to fit my piano, guitar and voice practice in while I'm in the music building.  I aim for two hours of piano a day, and an hour of both guitar and voice.  Realistically, I usually practice an hour and a half on piano and an hour total of guitar and voice.  This is more than some people, and less than some people.  I always feel like I never practice enough, though.  But I'm not sure I could ever practice enough!  It all comes down to setting priorities.

 My other classes include Musicianship Skills (sight-reading), Music Theory, Music Therapy Skills, Interpreting Literature, and individual piano lessons. When I write it down, my schedule seems kind of overwhelming ... but if you take it a day at a time, it's not bad.  I write down all of my assignments in my planner, so that helps to keep everything straight.  But now, it's Friday and I have a weekend to catch up and relax!  :)

Have a great weekend!
Amanda

PS: I just found out the other day that I have official credentials!  That's right, you can call me Amanda MTS (Music Therapy Student)

No comments:

Post a Comment