Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Other Side of the Sanctity of Human Life



National Sanctity of Human Life Sunday is typically third Sunday in January.  It's a time that's set aside to reflect on the value of human life, mainly unborn life.  At my church, our bulletins have pictures of newborn babies with smiling parents.  I remember one year we had an emotional testimony time.  A church favorite, we fill up baby bottles with change for a local pregnancy shelter.  Maybe we'll even offer up a special prayer.

Ready for some strong statements?

I believe that human life starts at conception, not at birth.
I understand that mistakes happen, and that sometimes you get the short end of the stick.
But, I still don't think that abortion is the answer.
Therefore, I believe that an abortion is taking away life that isn't supposed to be taken.

Don't get me wrong, all of these things are good and I think that they definitely have their place.

But what about the life that is already here on Earth?  

That kid in class that sits alone.  You know him, he might be a little smelly.  Or maybe he picks his nose in the middle of lectures.

Or that girl that stutters so badly, it's hard to keep a conversation going.

Those kids on TV with the dismal expressions and distended stomachs from lack of nutrition.

Ready for this one?  What about ... Miley Cyrus.

It can be so easy to slip into a habit of seeing them some people as less than human ...

Not deserving of our attention.
Of our friendship.
Of God's love.

Whoa, that escalated quickly!  Let me try to explain how I got there :)

Sometimes we tend to characterize people by their mistakes or life choices.
She's a druggie.
He's homosexual.
They're criminals.

But what if we changed that?  I am suggesting a new kind of "tolerance".*
I'm talking about respecting a person despite their life choices or circumstances.

I am not saying that we have to agree or condone with their actions.
But, I am saying that we need to continue to grant them the same respect that we would give our church family, friends and family.

We need to look at them through God's eyes.

He sees his child, stumbling.  Searching.  Lost.  Lonely.
We are no better than them, because we all mess up - some of us have less drastic or noticeable consequences.

This is a call to love.  To respect.  To value.  Because all human life is valuable.

The world doesn't need another person telling them their actions are wrong - they need to see why their actions are wrong.  As Christians, let's show them a better way, by modeling the love of Christ.

I may never reach this point, but I will continue to seek after this unconditional love.  I've spent many hours wrestling with this issue.  I wrote this post to help sort my thoughts out.  If you got anything out of this, then that's an added bonus!  Unfortunately, life isn't the black and white I think I should be.  Every single day I feel like this world gets more and more complicated.
Maybe that means I'm growing up.
Or maybe I just need another cup of coffee :)

Keep that love coming,
Amanda

Matthew 22:35-40 (NIV)
35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

*I may or may not have put that word in to get your attention ... did it work?

No comments:

Post a Comment